|Lead skill||Cut Obstacles|
MARI Older Sister
|Relations||SUNNY "Original Self"|
BASIL best friend
OMORI is the titular deuteragonist in OMORI. OMORI can be controlled by the player during the night, where WHITE SPACE can be explored. When OMORI is in the lead, he can cut down obstacles with his knife.
OMORI is a young boy who wears a black tank top, long black socks, and black and white striped shorts. He is the only character to be colored black and white in contrast with the colorful residents of HEADSPACE, and he is also the only character to have blank eyes with no pupils. His overall design stems from SUNNY's twelve-year-old appearance.
Not much can be said about OMORI's personality, as he is a silent protagonist. However, it is implied that he is quite melancholic, as his narration sometimes has gloomy inputs and his final battle dialogue is directly talking down to SUNNY. His abilities are also reflective of this gloominess, being either violent in nature or simply gaining the SAD emotion, or having an advantage while SAD. However, it can be speculated that this is moreso reflective of SUNNY's emotional state, as OMORI is a character built from SUNNY'S conscience in WHITE SPACE and HEADSPACE.
At some point following MARI's death, SUNNY began visiting WHITE SPACE through a black-and-white doppelgänger called OMORI. WHITE SPACE is born out of SUNNY's cognition whenever he sleeps, so its contents are subjective from his memories and perceptions. OMORI's existence started as a sort of "shell" for SUNNY to protect himself from the horrors of the truth, which took the form of SOMETHING and BLACK SPACE.
Inside WHITE SPACE, OMORI can freely visit an imaginary world where his friends reside along with comical representations of acquaintances and familiar fictional mascots. WHITE SPACE serves as an escape from the truth behind MARI's untimely demise. To this end, SUNNY's OMORI is routinely inside WHITE SPACE, as SUNNY has been a shut-in since MARI's death and all of the interactions we seen within HEADSPACE come with a sense of great familiarity from the characters that reside within.
Eventually, BLACK SPACE encroaches on HEADSPACE, and repressing the resurfacing memories requires HEADSPACE to be reset -- which has been done several times over, only serving as a stopgap measure. As SUNNY's repression grew stronger and HEADSPACE continued to change, OMORI continued to change too, and eventually became something more than what his creator originally intended.
Years of repressing the truth resulted in OMORI becoming the very image of suicidal guilt and depression that SUNNY denies, essentially making him less of an alter ego. He becomes more of a culmination of the repression of trauma and escapism that SUNNY has done over his past four years as a hikikomori. By the time of the game's events, OMORI behaves autonomously and begins to influence SUNNY instead of the other way around; however, his goal is still the same: to protect SUNNY from the truth.
While OMORI and WHITE SPACE serve only to repress SOMETHING, OMORI begins acting more hostile towards SUNNY as he gets closer to the truth of BLACK SPACE, culminating into OMORI stabbing DREAM BASIL and attempting to make SUNNY cease to be. After SUNNY lands in the hospital from fighting with BASIL on the final night, OMORI fights SUNNY inside WHITE SPACE, presumably for control of his mind and body. There are two possible endings depending on if one of two options is chosen upon losing to OMORI the first time around:
- GOOD ENDING: If SUNNY chooses to continue, he performs the duet recital with MARI, remembering the good times he's spent with MARI and his friends during his youth. OMORI accepts defeat and embraces SUNNY with a hug, vanishing from WHITE SPACE. This allows SUNNY to finally overcome his guilt over his past actions and confess the truth behind MARI's death to his friends.
- BAD ENDING: If SUNNY chooses not to continue, he will instead disappear as OMORI presumably takes control of him completely. From there, OMORI wakes up in WHITE SPACE once again. When he enters NEIGHBOR'S ROOM, all of his friends appear strangely silent. They head out for more adventuring but the scene cuts over to SUNNY standing on the hospital's balcony alone. Unable to accept the truth, SUNNY jumps off the building and plummets to his presumed death.
In this route, things change as SUNNY represses more memories of MARI's death as he chooses to shut himself away even more than before. By the time OMORI arrives in BLACK SPACE, he slowly begins to take over SUNNY's mind and body. However, STRANGER attempts to stop SUNNY from submerging himself further into his dream world of escapism. SUNNY tries to fight off STRANGER but fails as the shadowy figure overwhelms him, leading him to be transported into RED SPACE, where OMORI awaits him on his throne of hands.
From there, OMORI descends from his throne and helps SUNNY withstand STRANGER's wrath. However, upon confronting the STRANGER, it appears that it has given up on trying to convince SUNNY to stop his unhealthy coping mechanism. OMORI is then warped back to BLACK SPACE by a RED HAND, allowing him to rescue BASIL in the CHURCH OF SOMETHING. The two friends leave BLACK SPACE and return to NEIGHBOR'S BEDROOM, where all of their friends are sleeping in their beds.
Once OMORI and BASIL fall asleep, as instructed by the BIG YELLOW CAT, this results in a soft reset for all of HEADSPACE. This leads to a repeat of the first few minutes of the game with a few changes: BASIL appears to have never discovered the truth, more areas are expanded, and more optional sidequests are available for OMORI and friends to complete.
SUNNY eventually wakes up, only to find SOMETHING following him at every step of his house. Being unable to suppress SOMETHING's presence, SUNNY succumbs further into his self-hate. If SUNNY chooses to go back to sleep, he ends up overwhelmed by the traumatic memories of his past.
OMORI then decides to "save" SUNNY from being fully consumed by his trauma. From there, he assumes complete control over SUNNY, causing the latter to cease to exist as he resigns himself to a never-ending cycle of dreaming forever and being unable to face the truth. After waking up once more, only two of the NEUTRAL ENDINGS can be obtained.
If SUNNY chooses to GO TO SLEEP in BASIL'S HOUSE after regaining his memories of the truth, the following events will occur. Upon awakening once more, SUNNY finds himself all alone. He heads to the hallway, only to find his friends and POLLY in the hallway, distraught over BASIL's suicide. Opening BASIL's door reveals his corpse slumped against the wall with a large hole in his abdomen represented by SOMETHING. The only option will then be to return home as the rest of the game will play out depending on if SUNNY picks up the knife or not before going to sleep.
- ABANDON ENDING: If SUNNY chooses to resume sleeping in his own bed, this will lead to a repeat of the WHITE SPACE intro scene from the start of the game. OMORI appears in WHITE SPACE as normal, but there is no door to HEADSPACE and the light bulb is still missing. All OMORI can do is STAB himself to wake SUNNY up. SUNNY silently meets his MOM in her car while SOMETHING follows him, leaving his distraught friends behind with no answers. Police sirens play over the credits.
- KNIFE ENDING: If SUNNY picks up the knife on the kitchen counter before heading to bed, using the STAB option in WHITE SPACE as OMORI will cause the resulting effects to impact SUNNY's physical body. SUNNY's answering machine continuously rings as he lays on his bed, clutching a knife into his bleeding chest. The ringing of a phone that will never again be answered plays over the credits. An alternate knife ending takes place if you choose to stab after waking up on moving day.
OMORI is a balanced combatant, with an even spread of stats. Although he is not as involved in the party's conversations, he has the most emotive potential, being able to reach three levels of EMOTIONS compared to two for the others. His combat abilities are a bit more emotionally manipulative, as he has skills that can counter the bonuses each variant of emotion bestows, culminating in the ability to straight-up deal extra damage to an enemy with any emotion using EXPLOIT. He's your main source of inflicting SADNESS and has a few skills that take advantage of him or his target being SAD too.
His own FOLLOW-UPS are more selfish than his companions', as his standard follow-ups are the ability to strike again and lower an enemy's Speed. However, he does come with the ability to Release Energy, cooperating with all his companions to perform a devastating all-out attack.
OMORI'S power reaches his absolute peak when you choose the OMORI route, as he earns four more skills exclusive to that route when there's ONE DAY LEFT. RED HANDS is gained when he returns to HEADSPACE after resetting it, while VERTIGO, CRIPPLE, and SUFFOCATE are all obtained by revisiting the LOST LIBRARY and fully conquering the embodiments of his past phobias.
|ATTACK||OMORI's Basic Attack||(Attack x 2 - Foe's defense)||BASIC|
|SAD POEM||Inflicts SAD on a friend or foe.
Costs 5 JUICE.
|GUARD||Acts first, reducing damage taken for 1 turn.
Costs 0 JUICE.
|STAB||Always deals a critical hit. Ignores DEFENSE when OMORI is SAD.
Costs 13 JUICE.
|(Attack x 2) (SAD)
(Attack x 1.5 - Foe's defense) (Else)
|BREAD SLICE||If this skill defeats a foe, gain BREAD.
Costs 10 JUICE.
|(Attack x 2.5 - Foe's defense)||LEVEL 5|
|MOCK||Deals damage. If the foe is ANGRY, greatly reduce its ATTACK.
Costs 20 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3 - Foe's defense)||LEVEL 7|
|HACK AWAY||Attacks 3 times, hitting random foes.
Costs 30 JUICE.
|(Attack x 2 - Foe's defense)
(Attack x 2.25 - Foe's defense) (ANGRY)
|OBSERVE||Predicts who a foe will target next turn.
Costs 0 JUICE.
|LUCKY SLICE||Acts first. An attack that's stronger when OMORI is HAPPY.
Costs 15 JUICE.
|(Attack + Luck) x 2 - Foe's defense (HAPPY)
(Attack + Luck) x 1.5 - Foe's defense (Else)
|TRICK||Deals damage. If the foe is HAPPY, greatly reduce its SPEED.
Costs 20 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3 - Foe's defense)||LEVEL 15|
|PAINFUL TRUTH||Deals damage to a foe. OMORI and the foe become SAD.
Costs 10 JUICE.
|(Attack x 2 - Foe's defense)||LEVEL 19|
|SHUN||Deals damage. If the foe is SAD, greatly reduce its DEFENSE.
Costs 20 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3 - Foe's defense)||LEVEL 20|
|STARE||Reduces all of a foe's STATS.
Costs 45 JUICE.
|EXPLOIT||Deals extra damage to a HAPPY, SAD, or ANGRY foe.
Costs 30 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3.5 - Foe's defense) (Any EMOTION)
(Attack x 2.5 - Foe's defense) (Else)
|FINAL STRIKE||Strikes all foes. Deals more damage if OMORI has a higher stage of EMOTION.
Costs 50 JUICE.
|(Attack x 4 - Foe's defense) (1st Tier)
(Attack x 5 - Foe's defense) (2nd Tier)
(Attack x 6 - Foe's defense) (3rd Tier)
(Attack x 3 - Foe's defense) (NEUTRAL)
|RED HANDS||Deals big damage 4 times.
Costs 75 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3 - Foe's defense) (4 times)||OMORI ROUTE|
|VERTIGO||Deals damage to all foes based on user's SPEED and greatly reduces their ATTACK.
Costs 45 JUICE.
|(Speed x 3 - Foe's defense)||Defeat SOMETHING IN THE DARK|
|CRIPPLE||Deals big damage to all foes and greatly reduces their SPEED.
Costs 45 JUICE.
|(Attack x 3.5 - Foe's defense)||Defeat SOMETHING IN THE WALLS|
|SUFFOCATE||Deals 400 damage to all foes and greatly reduces their DEFENSE.
Costs 45 JUICE.
|(400)||Defeat SOMETHING IN THE WATER|
*Omori has two different variations of his "RELEASE ENERGY" Follow-Up:
- The first one is the default animation used with all party members active.
- The second one is unique, only used with Basil in the party via the special Boss Rush event.
OMORI has only one weapon throughout most of the plot, and the SHINY KNIFE he carries automatically upgrades to the KNIFE and DULL KNIFE as he re-enters HEADSPACE with each passing day. On the OMORI ROUTE, OMORI's knife will eventually turn into the RUSTY KNIFE upon resetting HEADSPACE after completing BLACK SPACE. The RED KNIFE is the sole exception to the pattern, as it is obtained and automatically replaces the RUSTY KNIFE after fighting and sparing ABBI.
The data table shows OMORI's raw stats (without any item bonuses, nor HEARTS bonuses gained by watering plants, nor any special bonuses).
The player can boost OMORI's HEART stat by constantly watering the flowers near the path to BASIL'S HOUSE. Though, just note that OMORI can only gain HEARTS from the tulip, sunflower and the lily of the valley flowers. In addition, every party member's JUICE can be increased by 5 points for every new CLUB SANDWICH that the party lodges at.
OMORI can also gain an extra boost of 50 HEART, 50 JUICE, 10 ATTACK, 10 DEFENSE and 10 SPEED by accepting the sacrifice offered by the BRANCH CORAL within the DEEPER WELL area. The sacrifice involves eating an red apple that morphs itself into SUNNY's head. Doing this action has no impact on the story.
For an in-battle description and his boss quotes, see: OMORI (Enemy)
- OMORI originally had the name OMORIBOY and first appeared in his own blog, which was named after him and lasted from December 22nd, 2011 to March 14th, 2012.
- This version of OMORI is depicted as a depressed hikikomori, and appears much older in appearance. Some bits of this characterization would later be used for his original self SUNNY.
- Along with that, many of his posts there show his inner thoughts about himself and the world around him. Some of his traits in the blog are used for his current portrayal in the 2020 game, but toned down.
- OMORI originally was planned to have an AFRAID emotion but this was scrapped, most likely due to OMORI being incapable of fully expressing fear. This was given to SUNNY instead. The demo's coding still contains data of OMORI's AFRAID emotion.
- OMORI was also meant to have a TOAST emotion when downed in battle, similar to the other party members. This was replaced with a DEFEATED sprite in the full game's release.
- OMORI and BASIL are the only playable characters with 3-stage emotions (MANIC, MISERABLE, and FURIOUS), as the other party members only have 2-stage emotions. This mechanic is only exclusive to some of the HEADSPACE bosses, such as SPACE EX-BOYFRIEND and SWEETHEART.
- OMORI has the potential to deal some of the largest damage in the game while in HEADSPACE. If OMORI is under the effects of HAPPY emotions, has higher SPEED charm and has consumed COFFEE, the VERTIGO skill can hit for over 3,000 damage per usage. If the target is ANGRY, then the damage can get as high as about 4,500, able to just about two-shot most major bosses.
- OMORI's namesake is implied to have originated from the piano MARI once played before her untimely death. This piano can also be found inside FARAWAY TOWN's CHURCH. In both locations, inspecting the piano reveals that its brand is known as "OMORI".
- This piano is notably featured in an old VHS tape labeled "OMORI", which depicts SUNNY unhappily playing the same piano before looking at his reflection in the piano, slightly frowning upon noticing his broken state. This could hint of how OMORI's overall color scheme was inspired by the piano itself.
- When interacting with the keyboard in SPACE BOYFRIEND'S HOUSE, OMORI appears to play his song slowly before slamming the keys in frustration. This foreshadows how SUNNY became deeply frustrated with being unable to play his violin perfectly and his eventual outburst later on.
- In the game's files, there exists a complete set of sprites of OMORI playing the VIOLIN. This was most likely a placeholder for SUNNY's sprite when he briefly plays the violin within the BACKSTAGE on the SUNNY ROUTE.
- OMORI's influence causes SUNNY to do bad things in his sleep. Should SUNNY bring a knife with him to bed in one of the NEUTRAL ENDINGS, OMORI stabbing himself in WHITE SPACE will result in SUNNY stabbing himself in reality.
- It's also possible that this was how the PHOTO ALBUM was vandalized offscreen, as hinted in an event when falling into the 5th HANGMAN hole, which could explain the ongoing friction between AUBREY and BASIL during the game's events.
- This is evident on an aborted SUNNY ROUTE where SUNNY doesn't answer KEL knocking on the door on TWO DAYS LEFT despite answering the day before. Rechecking the PHOTO ALBUM on the ONE DAY LEFT segment after waking up will reveal the photos scribbled in black marker once again.
- OMORI can only be spoken to as an NPC within two locations, consisting of WHITE SPACE and HUMPHREY. For both interactions, OMORI will remain silent upon interacting with him.
- The HUMPHREY interaction can be done on both routes, in which another party member can speak to him during one of the easy puzzle experiments within MOLLY's sector.
- The WHITE SPACE interaction is only available when revisiting the area as SUNNY on ONE DAY LEFT of the SUNNY ROUTE. In addition, when walking around him, OMORI will continously stare at SUNNY without any intent to fuse with his original self.
- If the player does not move or interact with anything in WHITE SPACE for 2 minutes, OMORI will sit down in place.
- If the player chooses to remain idle in the BLACK PLAYGROUND for approximately 42 seconds (2500 frames), this will cause OMORI to do one of three following idle animations. This is similar to the idle animation event from WHITE SPACE. Note that each one of the idle animations has a 1/3 chance of occurring: