Multiple full-service picnics have been set up all around HEADSPACE for the group, courtesy of MARI herself. These areas are also where MARI can always be found waiting for her friends to join her on a peaceful picnic. On the OMORI ROUTE, BASIL later joins MARI to keep her company after being saved from BLACK SPACE.
Interacting with MARI allows the party to keep track of which quests still need to be completed, while interacting with BASIL will have him offer a view of his completed PHOTO ALBUM. Examining the delicious food prepared by MARI will fully restore the group's HEART and JUICE. Checking the picnic basket gives the player an option to SAVE their game. Interacting with the purple cooler will lead to a short breaktime sequence where the group spends time together (and, if the cooler is open when interacting with it, will also lead to a short dialogue between the group).
Recovering at all of MARI's picnics by interacting with the sparkling foods is required to obtain the "Anytime is a good time for a picnic!" achievement, being a total of 25 picnics available. Note that some picnics required for this achievement aren't actual picnics but are still mandatory to interact with for completion. Along with that, interacting with the purple coolers does not grant the aforementioned achievement either.
Picnics in FARAWAY TOWN aren't that common, due to the setting taking place in reality and MARI no longer being around anymore to provide food for the group. However, a few red picnic baskets can be interacted with to SAVE progress.
On ONE DAY LEFT of the SUNNY ROUTE, two picnic events are available for the group to reminiscence the good old memories of their past. The first picnic is located at the HANGOUT SPOT, where interacting with it cuts to a short event where the group rests there peacefully. Doing this in the afternoon prompts a special cutscene.
The second picnic is only available after bringing FLOWERS to MARI's grave at FARAWAY CEMETERY. Interacting with the sparkle reads the text "Do you want to have a picnic with MARI?" Upon doing so, the group spends their last picnic with MARI as a somber-toned BGM plays in the background. This will yield the "When she was here..." achievement.
Headspace Picnic Dialogue
- The BGM often used whenever the group meets MARI at one of her picnics is named "By Your Side".
- A slower, somber-toned version of the song later plays at the picnic event at FARAWAY CEMETERY.
- The prompt used for the picnic event at FARAWAY CEMETERY mirrors the one used for HEADSPACE's picnics.
- HEADSPACE: "Do you want to have a picnic with your friends?"
- FARAWAY CEMETERY: "Do you want to have a picnic with MARI?"
- According to the mysterious voice in DEEPER WELL, the reason MARI stays by her picnics is due to the fact she was confined to them and protected by the world itself because SUNNY couldn't bear the thought of her getting into danger and potentially dying again in his dreams.
- According to a note from Common Event 4 in the game's data, a watermelon picnic food was planned to be set up within BLACK SPACE. However, this event was instead used for the steak in the SNOWY HILL area.
- AUBREY's picnic animation at the HANGOUT SPOT uses the same sprites as her tag animation, which can only be seen via RECYCULTIST'S HQ. The only difference is that both animations have different frame rates.