The RECYCLING MACHINE found in OTHERWORLD CAMPSITE is used to recycle applicable items in exchange for CLAMS and items.
There are five different items that the RECYCLING MACHINE can accept. Depositing them will result in the machine playing a short song before returning a specific number of CLAMS depending on the item chosen.
- CANS reward 5 CLAMS.
- GLASS BOTTLES reward 10 CLAMS.
- CARDBOARDS reward 15 CLAMS.
- DEAD BATTERIES reward 20 CLAMS.
- COMPUTER PARTS reward 25 CLAMS.
Likewise, there is total of four obtainable items. All of them can be obtained depending on the number of items deposited in total. The player has to deposit a total of fifty items to receive all rewards and get the Recycling is a concept achievement.
- SEER GOGGLES: Obtained by depositing 5 items.
- FLASHLIGHT: Obtained by depositing 10 items.
- CELLPHONE: Obtained by depositing 25 items.
- UNIVERSAL REMOTE: Obtained by depositing 50 items.
There are two methods of obtaining all RECYCLING MACHINE rewards as early as possible are shown below. Note that both methods can work out as long as the player takes the following procedures of either method.
For the first and earliest method, the player will need to head to eastern VAST FOREST. Upon getting near the far east of the forest, just due south of the ladder to PINWHEEL FOREST look for a clump of trees with an entrance, this entrance will be easy to identify due to a big bone and a watermelon sitting to the right of it.
If you enter this patch of trees, you will find yourself in a grotto with a doghouse. You will need to exit and re-enter this grotto until SHADOW DOG appears. Once the dog appears you can pet it, doing this will give you a random item and make SHADOW DOG fade away. To make the dog reappear, exit, and re-enter the grotto until they show up as you did before.
There is a one in six chance of getting a CAN this way. The dice roll for the obtained SHADOW DOG item is as follows:
For the second and faster method, the player will need to use KEL's ability to scavenge CANS in the JUNKYARD. This is done by running away from battles repeatedly until you grind out fifty cans. About 10-15 pieces of trash can be found throughout progressing through JUNKYARD, so it's best to do this near the end of PROLOGUE to save yourself some time. Level 10-12 is recommended as it will increase your speed high enough to escape efficiently.
- Find an enemy in JUNKYARD, preferably a DIAL-UP as they have lower speed.
- RUN immediately after KEL scavenges.
- Open and close the MENU immediately. This removes the cooldown to re-fight enemies you ran away from.
- Bump into enemy again and repeat process.
There is a one in eight chance of getting a CAN this way. The dice roll for what KEL scavenges is as follows: