THE ABYSS is the deepest part of HEADSPACE, and as such is the closest area to BLACK SPACE. It notably appears to be populated by numerous variants of SOMETHING. Angler fishes known as the ANGI are present as well, being the only enemies in THE ABYSS not related to SOMETHING.
Skeletons of what seems to be KEL, AUBREY, and HERO can also be found in deeper levels of the area. THE ABYSS also serves as a prison for ABBI, one of the three great creatures, who played the role of "the wisest" before being imprisoned there for committing a crime against the dreamer.
THE ABYSS is accessible on the OMORI ROUTE only, when there is ONE DAY LEFT, after OMORI has absorbed SUNNY and reconstructed HEADSPACE. To access THE ABYSS, head to the west end of the UNDERWATER HIGHWAY that links to DEEPER WELL, and speak to the HITCHHIKER. He will lead you to a very short passageway that holds the Z KEY at the very end.
If you have gathered all 26 KEYS to the HANGMAN puzzle (and most probably with the Z KEY as your final KEY), the game will force open the Hangman menu. SOMETHING then will appear and crash the game. Reopen it, and you will find that the passageway has opened up and you can explore THE ABYSS in full.
Combat in THE ABYSS is best avoided. The shadowy creatures that populate it are so unnerving that your companions are paralyzed in FEAR from the start of the battle. Even if you defeat them, you gain nothing from the battle. The shadowy creatures do not even occupy an entry in FOE FACTS!, suggesting their appearances are too frightening to be reminded of.
ENTRANCE TO ABYSS
Upon accepting the HITCHHIKER's offer to take the party to THE ABYSS, the screen will darken as a lower-pitched version of "BA_roar" plays in the background. The screen will then reveal the location's intro card as the HITCHHIKER has transported himself and the entire party to a long, hollow corridor filled with the HANGMAN Keys you've collected so far. This is known as the ENTRANCE TO ABYSS in the game's data.
The Z Key is located at the end of the corridor. Even if the player obtains it, they cannot progress unless all 26 Keys have been collected. Once you've collected all HANGMAN Keys, this causes the completed HANGMAN figure to be covered by SOMETHING, after which the game will autosave and crash.
Reopening the game will skip the title screen entirely and immediately load the autosave. Collecting all KEYS also allows the party to access deeper segments of the maze within THE ABYSS via a darkish-pink ladder up ahead.
Note that if you choose to kill ABBI post-battle and leave her room, the party will be transported back to this area. In addition, the HANGMAN Keys will vanish from the entrance as ABBI is no longer present. This also means that the HANGMAN menu can no longer be accessed due to these circumstances.
The ABYSS HUB serves as the first proper area of this location. It also introduces the dark, empty atmosphere of this barren location. Waterfall noises and an eerie BGM can be heard playing in the background. The watermelons in this area contain the following items: CHEESEBURGER, WATERMELON JUICE, RAIN CLOUD, and WHOLE PIZZA.
Your primary objective in THE ABYSS is to navigate through its wide-open mazes and find the creature locked away within the area. A single roaming REVERSE MERMAID can be seen running around, though it doesn't possess that much of a threat compared to later enemies.
The only way to proceed is to continue east, then head southeast to reach the next ladder. Enter it to move on to the next area of the maze.
ABYSS LOWER 1
ABYSS LOWER 1 is the second area of THE ABYSS. The BGM notably becomes fainter and the screen slightly darkens to illustrate the cryptic nature of the location. There are a total of two watermelons containing an AIR HORN and CONFETTI.
This is also where you can enter different pathways to certain subrooms by entering a specific ladder. Each one takes the player to different rooms. The only enemies here consist of two SHARK FINS roaming around the overworld.
The ladders all contain differing pathways in general. Taking the bottom left ladder transports the party to one of the isolated rooms in the ABYSS HUB. The watermelon there contains a WHOLE PIZZA.
The only way to progress is to take the top left ladder, and doing so brings the player to the next area of THE ABYSS.
ABYSS LOWER 2
ABYSS LOWER 2 is the third area of THE ABYSS. From here, HITCHHIKER starts showing up occasionally to give players an option to head back to DEEP WELL if they aren't prepared enough. He first appears standing at the far right corner of the screen. A single watermelon located south of the entrance contains a COMBO MEAL.
In addition, more pathways are open for you to access. However, this area and onwards is where shadowy figures begin showing up. These enemies are capable of inflicting the AFRAID emotion on the party, with the exception being OMORI. All of them appear to have a connection to SOMETHING, excluding ANGI.
Multiple LILLIS are roaming around the area; the first FEAR enemies fought within here. They are optional to challenge and do not offer any additional EXP or CLAMS upon defeat. As for the pathways, they consist of three ladders that lead to different rooms:
- Bottom Right Ladder: Transports party into one of the ABYSS LOWER 3 rooms. A lone MERCI can be found here. The two watermelons located there contain LIFE JAM and SPAGHETTI.
- Top Left Ladder: Transports party into one of the ABYSS LOWER 3 rooms. The only feature consists of a lone ANGI guarding a watermelon that contains S.BERRY SMOOTHIE.
- Bottom Left Ladder: Brings party to the next subarea of the location: ABYSS LOWER 3. The following area is simply a short corridor featuring a MERCI, HITCHHIKER, and another ladder leading to a larger maze (ABYSS LOWER 4).
ABYSS LOWER 3
ABYSS LOWER 3 is the fourth area of THE ABYSS; a series of small rooms that mainly exist to transport the party to the depths of the shadowy chasm. The other rooms can be accessed from the ladders within ABYSS LOWER 2.
A few MERCIS and ANGIS are the only enemies fought there. HITCHHIKER can be interacted with for an option to leave as usual. The watermelons within this area hold three items: LIFE JAM, SPAGHETTI, and S.BERRY SMOOTHIE, all only obtainable via ABYSS LOWER 2's ladders.
As for progressing further, enter the next ladder from the aforementioned room to continue deeper into THE ABYSS.
ABYSS LOWER 4
ABYSS LOWER 4 is the penultimate area of THE ABYSS. Compared to the other areas, it features a large, wide-open maze containing multiple pathways, enemies, and watermelons scattered throughout the area. Instead of having ladders, dark-colored whirlpools resembling the ones from DEEPER WELL serve as portals that take the party further through the dark abyss.
The watermelons here contain the PAPER BAG and BASEBALL CAP charms, WATERMELON JUICE, and a SNO-CONE. Several LITTLE ONES can be seen lying on the floor. Stepping on them creates a strange, moaning sound. Repeat doing this and the creature will slowly vanish, not before saying "Help Me" in a distorted tone.
The most disturbing part about this area is the skeletons hanging on the walls. All seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to what appears to be remains of previous versions of AUBREY, KEL, and HERO from previous adventures.
To progress through this large maze, here are the following whirlpools you can take to either obtain new items or continue deeper into the area's shadowy chasm:
- In the FIRST ROOM, take the Top Right Whirlpool. This will leads to the second room of ABYSS LOWER 4, and is the correct way to proceed further.
- However, taking the Bottom Right Whirlpool leads to a small series of rooms for the upper portion of the maze. Enter more whirlpools and eventually you’ll reach a room with an ANGI guarding a watermelon holding a SNO-CONE. There is nothing else at that point.
- In the SECOND ROOM, take the Bottom Left Whirlpool. Doing so will transport the party to the third room, featuring another ANGI and two whirlpool portals.
- Taking the Top Right Whirlpool brings you to a small room that contains WATERMELON JUICE.
- In the THIRD ROOM, notice the whirlpool portal where the HITCHHIKER is standing right next to it. Take this one to enter the last room before the optional boss' lair. Before proceeding forward, obtain the BASEBALL CAP hidden within a single watermelon.
- In one of the corridors, you will find a skeleton named AUBREY?, who appears to be wearing a familiar pink bow on her head. Interact with the corpse and she will tearfully say "Sniff… Sniff… Omori…" This indicates a previous version of AUBREY before she was killed in a previous loop.
- As for the other whirlpool, entering it transports the party to a long room containing a few MERCIS and an ANGI. The far left corner of the room contains a watermelon holding the PAPER BAG charm.
Upon completing these steps, you will finally enter a checkpoint area. It features a few skeletons, MERCIS, and LILLIS. At this point, the only way to continue is by taking the ladder below to face off against of one of the three great creatures, currently stripped of her wisdom and conscience by THE DREAMER himself.
ABYSS FINAL, also known as ABBI'S LAIR, is the final area of THE ABYSS and where ABBI, one of HEADSPACE’s three great creatures resides. The room consists of a dark, shallow lair with a long ladder and ABBI's TENTACLES. One thing to note is that the background becomes more ominous, and the screen darkens to highlight the dark nature of ABBI herself. A dark version of MARI's picnic lies beside the ladder. Use it to save, heal up, and rest. After doing so, continue moving east of the ladder.
Eventually, you will reach a large, disembodied head of ABBI, who opens her eyes to glare at the party. This will initiate an optional boss fight with the outcome determining the bonus content offered. Once defeated, ABBI will apologize profusely and begs OMORI to forgive her. The player can choose to spare her or not.
- Choosing not to spare her yields ABBI'S EYE, while the rest of her disappears with the area's BGM going silent. This will also render THE ABYSS inaccessible once the party heads back to the UNDERWATER HIGHWAY, as the HITCHHIKER will vanish afterward.
- If she is spared, she will thank OMORI and tell him that her tentacles are spread throughout HEADSPACE and will gift the team with powerful equipment if found. ABBI will remain in her prison and speaking to her again causes her to remark that she has forgotten a certain "truth" that she used to know.
This is also where a secret BLACK SPACE entrance can be accessed after defeating ABBI. Walk to the right of the shadowy figure and you'll reach a dark wall. Interact with it and OMORI will be transported to the WEATHERVANE AREA, one of the five primary BLACK SPACE 2 areas. This can only be done once.
- According to the HITCHHIKER, THE ABYSS goes by many names, such as the DARK VOID, the DEEP PIT, and the SHADOWY CHASM.
- The intro card for this area is largely based on the enigmatic ABBI and her dark TENTACLES.
- THE ABYSS is one of the few optional HEADSPACE areas, the other two consisting of ORANGE OASIS and SNOWGLOBE MOUNTAIN.
- This location serves as one of the three locations that can become permanently inaccessible, only if the player chooses to not spare ABBI after defeating her in battle. The other locations consists of SWEETHEART'S CASTLE and LOST FOREST.
- THE ABYSS serves one of the five locations where the MYSTERY POTION's effects can work properly. The other four areas consist of the DEEP WELL, LAST RESORT, DEEPER WELL, and HUMPHREY.
- JOJO, an NPC from ORANGE OASIS, hints of THE ABYSS' existence when speaking to him within RELL'S HOUSE.
- In the 2019 build of the game, THE ABYSS originally featured more enemies and watermelons. This notably included unused data for the SOMETHING variants appearing in battle.
- The BRANCH CORAL from DEEPER WELL mentions that ABBI, who is revealed to be "The Wisest" of the three great creatures, was banished to this area and stripped of her wisdom for unexplained reasons.
- It is heavily implied by the voice in DEEPER WELL that the skeletons seen throughout the game are presumably remnants of previous iterations of the party.
- JOJO: Mom says if we misbehave, we'll be sent to the SHADOWY CHASM... But whatever! I ain't scared of no monsters!
- BRANCH CORAL: The wisest, against her reason, committed an act that opposed the DREAMER's will. It is an act that is not even known to me. As a result, she was stripped of her wisdom and banished to isolation... a special prison somewhere deep, deep down.
- ???: Death may be no danger here, but the memories of them do not fade so easily. Many times, your friends have met with an unfortunate fate. Although they are revived time and again, the most haunting stay in this world... even if only their bones remain.