|Location||HEADSPACE, FARAWAY TOWN,|
The WTF value is a game mechanic featured in OMORI. This mechanic will notably cause a series of events to occur depending on its value from the numbers 1 to 13. It is activated once the player enters VAST FOREST during the PROLOGUE segment on both routes.
At the very beginning of the game when you first leave NEIGHBOR'S ROOM and free AUBREY from the stump, a number from 1-13 is rolled. This roll decides the value of your 'WTF' variable. There are a few things that change depending on it; basically, the higher your 'WTF' value, the more random occurrences will happen.
- The amount of CLAMS given by TIFFANY DARLING when speaking to her in the LAST RESORT depends on the player's WTF Value. These range from:
- If WTF is set from 1 to 3 = 2,000 CLAMS
- If WTF is set from 4 to 6 = 1,000 CLAMS
- If WTF is set from 7 to 9 = 500 CLAMS
- If WTF is set from 10 to 13 = 100 CLAMS.
- If WTF ≥ 2, a photo of someone familiar will appear in the JUNKYARD TUNNELS 2 map. Interacting with OMORI as the leader results in it transforming into SOMETHING, making a creepy noise then disappearing. Other characters tagged will just get the same text as the photo in NEIGHBOR'S ROOM.
- If WTF ≥ 3, a HANGED BODY from the FISHBOWL AREA appears in the top right of the end of the LOST FOREST map. Going near it plays SE_bs_creature2 and it disappears.
- If WTF ≥ 4, a cockroach named SIMPLE ROACH appears in the top right of THE ROYAL KITCHEN. Interacting with it plays a line of dialogue before it fades away.
- If WTF ≥ 5, a SEACOW named ROAMIN' COW will appear on the ENDLESS HIGHWAY. Interacting with it gives dialogue.
- If WTF ≥ 6, an NPC named BLUEGIRL will appear in the BEACH AREA in BLACK SPACE. Interacting with her gives dialogue.
- If WTF ≥ 6, in the ABANDONED HOUSE interior from NORTH LAKE (houses off the CURRENT MAP to the left of the dock with MARI), the STRANGER BASIL appears for 19 frames when leaving the room.
- If WTF ≥ 6, SOMETHING will appear in the bottom left corner of the telescope view of the NORTH LAKE within the LIGHTHOUSE located northeast of the MAIN CURRENTS map.
- If WTF ≥ 6 and if the player has opened the door for MARI on the first night, HELLMARI can be found hovering on the bed in MOM'S ROOM for a total of 666 frames before vanishing. This event can be fully completed by checking the room at night after the jumpscare.
- If WTF ≥ 7, RUNNING MELON appears in the to the right of the igloo in the map that leads to SNOWGLOBE MOUNTAIN. This melon runs away from the player, giving x1 TOFU if smashed. (OMORI Route only area).
- If WTF ≥ 8, the SPELLING BEE appears in the EXPERIMENT 667 inside HUMPHREY. It uses the same dialogue from the TRAIN STATION and disappears after the CHIMERA sequence.
- If WTF ≥ 8, in the CURRENT MAP (go to the left immediately on the dock with MARI and swim to the left) on the 2nd island to the right, a STRANGER NPC (BASIL'S GRANDMA) will appear with a line of dialogue. She will constantly turn around to face OMORI and MARI just like her grandson on THREE DAYS LEFT (SUNNY ROUTE).
- If WTF ≥ 9, 'DADDY LONGLEGS' appears in PYREFLY FOREST in the same map with the RARE BEAR. DADDY LONGLEGS will slowly vanish when the event is loaded in-game, without speaking any single line of dialogue.
- Note that this only happens if the player hasn't visited OTHERWORLD yet. Due to PYREFLY FOREST being accessed only after the player completes OTHERWORLD, the event itself is technically "unused".
- If WTF ≥ 9, a SQUIZZARD appears in the bottom right of the SEACOW FARM map. It spins around and does nothing.
- If WTF = 13, one of the HUMPHREY bumps says "I fucking love air conditioning" if interacted with, then sets a self switch to say the normal dialogue.
- If WTF = 13, on the OMORI/NEUTRAL route, sleeping until tomorrow results in the MOVERS becoming shadow sprites, much like the HEADSPACE STRANGER characters.
- Another interesting thing to note is that the variable for it is "143" which appears to have been a deliberate choice as there are plenty of unused variables before this number. This number appears in a few other very specific instances as well.
- Some of the events the WTF value generates correlates with the background behind the game's plot.
- The overall premise of this mechanic works similar to that of Undertale's Fun Value.