At the very beginning of the game when you first leave NEIGHBOR'S ROOM and free AUBREY from the stump, a number from 1-13 is rolled. This roll decides the value of your 'WTF' variable. There are a few things that change depending on it; basically, the higher your 'WTF' value, the more random occurrences will happen.
- TIFFANY DARLING in the CASINO gives clams depending on WTF. 1-3 WTF = 2,000 CLAMS. 4-6 WTF = 1,000 CLAMS. 7-9 WTF = 500 CLAMS. 10-13 WTF = 100 CLAMS.
- If WTF ≥ 2, a photo of someone familiar will appear in the JUNKYARD TUNNELS 2 map. Interacting with OMORI as the leader results in it making a creepy noise then disappearing. Other characters tagged will just get the same text as the photo in NEIGHBOR'S ROOM. (If your WTF value is higher than 2, SOMETHING seems to appear for a split second before disappearing along with the photo.)
- If WTF ≥ 3, a HANGED BODY from the FISHBOWL AREA appears in the top right of the end of the LOST FOREST map. Going near it plays SE_bs_creature2 and it disappears.
- If WTF ≥ 4, a cockroach named SIMPLE ROACH appears in the top right of THE ROYAL KITCHEN. Interacting with it plays a line of dialogue before it fades away.
- If WTF ≥ 5, a SEACOW named ROAMIN' COW will appear on the ENDLESS HIGHWAY. Interacting with it gives dialogue.
- If WTF ≥ 6, an NPC named BLUEGIRL will appear in the BEACH AREA in BLACK SPACE. Interacting with her gives dialogue.
- If WTF ≥ 6, in the ABANDONED HOUSE interior from NORTH LAKE (houses off the CURRENT MAP to the left of the dock with MARI), the STRANGER BASIL appears for 19 frames when leaving the room.
- If WTF ≥ 6, SOMETHING will appear in the bottom left corner of the telescope view of the NORTH LAKE within the LIGHTHOUSE located northeast of the MAIN CURRENTS map.
- If WTF ≥ 6, HELLMARI appears in the bed in MOM'S ROOM if the player did not open the door for MARI on the first night. Interacting with her causes her to disappear.
- If WTF ≥ 7, RUNNING MELON appears in the to the right of the igloo in the map that leads to SNOWGLOBE MOUNTAIN. This melon runs away from the player, giving x1 TOFU if smashed. (OMORI Route only area).
- If WTF ≥ 8, the SPELLING BEE appears in the EXPERIMENT 667 inside HUMPHREY. It uses the same dialogue from the TRAIN STATION and disappears after the CHIMERA sequence.
- If WTF ≥ 8, in the CURRENT MAP (go to the left immediately on the dock with MARI and swim to the left) on the 2nd island to the right, a STRANGER NPC (BASIL'S GRANDMA) will appear with a line of dialogue. She will constantly turn around to face OMORI and MARI just like her grandson on THREE DAYS LEFT (SUNNY ROUTE).
- If WTF ≥ 9, 'DADDY LONGLEGS' appears in PYREFLY FOREST in the same map with the RARE BEAR. DADDY LONGLEGS will disappear quickly when the event is loaded in-game, without speaking any single line of dialogue.
- If WTF ≥ 9, a SQUIZZARD appears in the bottom right of the SEACOW FARM map. It spins around and does nothing.
- If WTF = 13, one of the HUMPHREY bumps says "I fucking love air conditioning" if interacted with, then sets a self switch to say the normal dialogue.
- If WTF = 13, on the OMORI/NEUTRAL route, sleeping until tomorrow results in the MOVERS becoming shadow sprites, much like the HEADSPACE STRANGER characters.
- There is an unknown event where after defeating SOMETHING IN THE WATER on the OMORI ROUTE, SUNNY can return to his room, only to find "something" sleeping in his bed. Leaving the room and re-entering will cause it vanish.
Another interesting thing to note is that the variable for it is '143' which appears to have been a deliberate choice as there are plenty of unused variables before this number. This number appears in a few other very specific instances as well.
- Some of the events the WTF value generates correlates with the background behind the game's plot.
- The overall premise of this mechanic works similar to that of Undertale's Fun Value.